The major categories of chainsaws you will easily find on the market are corded electric, gas, and battery powered chainsaws. If you are interested in buying a lightweight, portable, and accurate chainsaw that can be used for light operations at home, you should consider the best battery chainsaw on sale.
Since the market has many choices with different features, it will require your good understanding of the most essential ones, like portability, battery power, chain size, and much more to make an informed buying decision. Here, the Drillly team will be reviewing some of the best battery chainsaws available today. Read on to see if you can find your best match!
Why Should You Trust Us?
As you probably already know, we are a bunch of carpenters and blacksmiths that have been utilizing different kinds of machine tools over the past 15 years. Chainsaws are not something new to us since they are often used in our woodworking projects.
Also, we live in a storm-prone area where thunderstorms are common and we often find ourselves surrounded by uprooted trees. As a result, we often keep a battery chainsaw handy to prune and cut the branches of trees and clear the roads and gardens. So, we have practical experience of using different models of battery chainsaws with a clear understanding of the essential features of these power tools..
Another reason that we would also like to mention here is our neutral opinions. We are not promoting any products from any brands. We never mislead you with hyperbolic information t convince you to buy a specific product. We share all of our good and bad use experiences of a tool and share our experience with you on this platform.
How Did We Pick the Best?
After spending many years with numerous battery chainsaws from different brands, I can now easily tell the differences among them. Over this long time, I’ve made thousands of cuts on both soft and hardwoods. However, I needed to get a better conviction on the choice of the best battery operated chainsaws to prepare this list. So, I involved the services of community-based volunteers who assisted me in the testing and examination of these products.
Also, my team and I visited various websites and blogs that reviewed battery powered chainsaw models. We examined different customers' comments and ratings on each of the products that they have bought. We compared the battery chainsaw reviews from various websites with the ratings from the various customers which helped us draw our conclusion.
For us to provide you a reliable review, we consulted with professional woodworkers who have had several years of experience with this type. They gave us their insight into which product they consider to be the best battery powered chainsaw. We included most of the products they’d recommended among the ones we selected for tests and many of them made it to our list of the top-rated cordless electric chainsaw models.
After the tests, my team and I analyzed how each product fared over the other by power, runtime, speed, portability, noise, safety, warranty, price to quality ratio, and much more. We compared the different battery-operated chainsaw reviews from each of the volunteers and sorted the best based on the criteria we have outlined.
Finally, we collated the data from the various sources, and after completing the analyses, we picked our top ten products. We are confident that this review is packed with the best information that will help you find your best match.
Our Top 10 Best Battery Chainsaw
Well, if you’re are getting a battery chainsaw that you will enjoy for a long time, then you can check any of our listed products for the model that suits your need. We have categorized these tools according to their ratings and have also reviewed their outstanding features, pros and cons. We are confident that this will serve as your trusted buying guide to find out the best battery chainsaw.
Understanding Cordless Chainsaws
Cordless chainsaws come with a built-in battery for power and operate without a gas tank or electric cord. The cordless chainsaw is mostly dedicated to light-duty tasks because of its slower speeds and limited run-time per charge. However, the battery powered chain saw models have some exciting benefits for you.
So, why will you shop for the best battery chain saw? Our battery operated chainsaw reviews will reveal the reasons these tools have become increasingly popular are that they are much cleaner, quieter, and easier to use than the gas or corded-electric powered chainsaws.
Now let’s get into details why you should use this product.
- Lightweight and portability: A great advantage of the cordless electric chainsaw is that it has a good power-to-weight ratio, especially with the new designs available today.
- Cleaner and safer operation: Unlike the gas chainsaw that tends to pollute the environment with its emissions, battery operated chainsaws are much cleaner. The noise level is very low, and almost zero once you release the trigger.
- Ease of maintenance and operation: These types of chainsaw are easier to maintain when compared to their gas counterparts. You won’t have to worry about changing plugs or storing gas. Once the battery is charged, all you can do is press the power switch to get on with your cutting. Also, the engine compartment has less part which limits its long-term maintenance cost.
The corded electric chainsaws might appear to be cleaner and quieter as well. But the problem lies with having to drag the long cord along while cutting the wood. This is why you should consider buying the best battery chainsaw on the market for your simple tasks. So, read our electric chainsaw reviews to understand the chainsaw that suits your needs.
Who Are These Products For?
Battery operated chainsaws are very important for trimming or cutting tree branches for firewood, clearing the neighborhood after a storm, and other light-duty tasks at home. Some of the benefits you will experience with this product include the fact that it starts automatically, maintains a constant temperature, does not require fuel, is easy to maintain and easy to carry.
Let’s consider how this product can benefit different categories of persons; it’s obvious you’re in one of these classes.
Novice: If you have little or no idea about chainsaws, you should start with this type because of its simplicity of operation and ease of transportation.
Light-duty tasks: If your interest is to perform simple tasks like cutting tree branches for firewood or clearing a fallen tree off the road, cordless electric chainsaws are the best option for you.
Professionals: The battery chainsaw is seen as the best for beginners but that does not mean that professionals cannot use it. In fact, if you want to handle a small project and would love the comfort of operating the machine without the cord or the noise then you can opt for a cordless chainsaw. They are designed to suit the preference of amateurs and professionals alike.
Environmentally friendly persons: If you really care for the environment, especially when handling simple wood cutting projects, a battery chainsaw might come in handy. Unlike the gas chainsaws, they don’t emit toxic exhaust fumes and does not overwhelm the environment with an annoying sound.
Things to Consider When Looking for the Best Battery Chainsaw
Whatever the type of saw you use, be it a reciprocating saw or a cabinet table saw or a battery chain saw, you should understand the different features that define their qualities. We will be considering them in detail, so read on.
The power of a battery chainsaw is based on its volts. The fact is that the rate of cut is proportional to power. However, if the voltage is too high, the battery will have a shorter life. This implies that the most powerful cordless chainsaw cannot cut through woods that are hard or more than 9 inches thick. If you want to handle some heavy-duty tasks, then you should consider a gas or corded electric chainsaw.
Its speed is determined by how fast it can cut through the same wood under the same cutting technique and feed pressure. Mostly, the speed increases with the machine's power rating. The higher the speed, the better, provided other qualities are not compromised.
The amount of work a battery chainsaw can perform under a single charge is defined by its runtime. The higher the runtime, the lesser you’ll wait for it to recharge before you can continue with the task. Runtime is very important since you may not have a spare battery to switch the pack or a power source nearby to get a recharge.
The best battery powered chain saw should run quietly and should only produce a high-frequency whirring sound. Moreover, once you release the trigger, nothing should be heard any longer in this battery operated chainsaw.
One of the greatest advantages of this chainsaw type is the ease of carrying it anywhere because of its portability and low weight features. Your greatest concern should be how long the battery can last. You should also check the weight and dimensions of the model to determine its portability.
Battery operated chainsaws might not be as risky as the corded electric or the gas-powered chainsaw but that does not mean they are not dangerous. One of the major concerns for safety in a cordless electric chainsaw is the kickback. A top-quality chainsaw should have the low kickback chain or be equipped with anti-kickback features for enhanced safety.
Other important safety features you should consider include the chain catcher and the chain brake.
In addition to comfortability and ease of use, the best battery chainsaw should be compliant with safety standards based on these quality features.
- Trigger: The trigger is a safety feature that is operated as a palm switch. It must be held down before you can engage the throttle trigger.
- Reduced kickback chain: Kickback is avoided by the additional guard links and a reduction in the cutting power to prevent the chain from biting too much at a time. Many of the chainsaws on sale have smaller tips to reduce the area that is cut to avoid any kick-back.
- Chain brake: This feature helps to stop the chain once there is a kick-back or immediately the handguard at the front is pushed forward.
- Chain catcher: This is a small metal extension that is found at the bottom of the guide bar to keep a thrown chain from reaching the user. It is very useful especially if the chain sags because of negligence during maintenance or tensioning.
- Automatic oiler: this feature is so important that it is common in many of the cheap battery chainsaws. It allows you to continue with the cutting without having to pause to lubricate the cutting bar by hand. Also, it ensures that your bar and chain are properly oiled to prevent their premature wear and tear due to overheating.
- Ease of adjustment: Chainsaw bars are designed to be adjusted anytime you put them to use. In most cases, new chains tend to lose tension more often and will require that you reset. Also, if they get too tight suddenly, it implies that there is an inadequate supply of oil to the bar. Ensure that you buy a chain saw that can be adjusted easily with or without a tool.
- Bucking Spikes: These are spikes that acts as a fulcrum for the bar and chain while you are cutting the logs. They are located near the base. The top handle battery chainsaw models are those with metal spikes rather than plastic spikes.
- Anti-Vibration: This feature is common in the gas-powered chainsaws which helps to minimize the impact of vibration. They’re small rubber bushings or springs and is positioned between the engine and the handle. This feature allows you to enjoy a comfortable and tireless cutting operation.
- Tool-Free Chain Adjuster: This is a plastic knob that can be used to lock or unlock the chain bar for the convenient adjustment of the chain tension independently of tools like screwdriver or wrench. Your safety can be improved by the ease at which this adjustment can be made.
The warranty on the product is your greatest assurance of the quality and durability of the battery chainsaw. Most of the best cordless chainsaw brands will provide you with at least a 2-year warranty.
If you know the differences between electric and battery chainsaw, you surely realized that battery-operated chainsaws are more expensive than their corded-electric counterparts because of their advanced battery technology. Your preference should determine what brand you should buy.
There is the possibility of getting injured when the chain in the saw kicks back towards your position and may heat your chest or head. Even with many of the best battery chainsaws on sale which are equipped with safety features like chain break and burking spikes to limit the effect of kickback, you should endeavor to use the machine with care. The following tips should guide you on how to operate a cordless electric chainsaw comfortably.
- Avoid wearing loose clothing
- Your work boots must be sturdy
- Your legs must be shielded with the best chainsaw chaps available resistant to cuts
- Protect your hands with gloves
- Wear a helmet that comes with a face shield
- Wear an ear protective device to limit the level of noise that enters your ear. Note that all chainsaws including battery-operated chainsaws produce sounds that are above 85-decibel which could damage the ear
- Don’t saw with the tip of the bar and chain to prevent a kickback
- Make sure that you grip the handle firmly while cutting
- Ensure that your chain is properly sharpened and tensioned
- Avoid using the chainsaw when the oil level has dropped or is empty
- Keep your machine lubricated at all times
- Clean off any spilled oil after use
- Empty the oil tank after use
- Make sure that you use the manufacturer’s recommended type of oil only
The battery-operated chainsaws are extremely portable and can be held or carried easily. However, they are limited in terms of power and performance when compared with the gas and electric powered chainsaws. But, the reviews battery powered chainsaw have received at platforms like amazon and others are more than enough to make the decision about this category.
Some of the major factors that you should consider when shopping for one of the Best battery chainsaws include portability, battery runtime, weight, warranty, and safety.
With these battery-operated chainsaw reviews, you can easily spot the product(s) that suits your needs by simply comparing their features, pros, and cons.
Our top pick is the Greenworks 14-inch 40V cordless chainsaw. Greenworks is considered as one of the best chainsaw brands. It features a brushless motor that cuts with power, speed, and accuracy more than the brushed types. The battery can handle up to 100 cuts per single charge in addition to its extremely low weight that allows it to be handled with comfort. It also has excellent chainsaw ratings at amazon.
The most powerful battery chainsaw on our list is the DEWALT DCCS670X1 because of its large battery power of 60V and a chain and bar size 16 inches. This dewalt chainsaw can perform light operations very comfortably and can attempt some level of heavy-duty cuts.
The Makita XCU03PTI features a brushless motor that operates at the same power as a 32cc gas-powered chainsaw. The variable speed feature controlled by the trigger allows you to cut through different sizes of wood at a regulated speed. This makita cordless chainsaw is one of our top handle battery chainsaw models because of its ergonomically designed handle that allows you to pull the trigger easily.
Although you won't find products made by such reputed brands as Stihl, Milwaukee, and Echo in this list, we can't deny the fact that their products are also of top quality and reliable. May be they would have been if we had made a top 20 list instead of 10.
We are confident that this review will help you make the right choice while buying any of the top rated battery chainsaws on the market.
Finally, you should adhere strictly to the safety tips that we have highlighted if you are to enjoy your product for a long time.