What You Will Get Here
- Understanding Cordless Chainsaws
- Who Are These Products For?
- Things to Consider When Looking for the Best Battery Chainsaw
- How Did We Pick the Best?
- Our Top 10 List
- Best Overall: Greenworks 14-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw, 2.0 AH Battery Included CS40L210
- Also Great: BLACK+DECKER LCS1020 20V Max Lithium-Ion Chainsaw
- Budget Friendly: BLACK+DECKER LCS1240 40 Volts Cordless Chainsaw, 12-Inch
- Best Compact Choice: DEWALT DCCS620P1 20V MAX Lithium-Ion XR Brushless Compact 12 in. Cordless Chainsaw Kit
- Advanced Option: DEWALT DCCS670X1 FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Lithium-Ion Brushless 16” Cordless Chainsaw Kit
- List of 5 other Battery Chainsaw We Reviewed
- List of Other Products We Tested
- Safety Tips
Understanding Cordless Chainsaws
Cordless chainsaws come with a built-in battery for power and operate without a gas tank or electric cord. The cordless chainsaw is mostly dedicated to light-duty tasks because of its slower speeds and limited run-time per charge. However, the battery powered chain saw models have some exciting benefits for you.
So, why will you shop for the best battery chain saw? Our battery operated chainsaw reviews will reveal the reasons these tools have become increasingly popular are that they are much cleaner, quieter, and easier to use than the gas or corded-electric powered chainsaws.
Now let’s get into details why you should use this product.
- Lightweight and portability: One of the most important advantages of the cordless electric chainsaw is that they have a very good power-to-weight ratio, especially with the new designs on sale.
- Cleaner and safer operation: Unlike the gas chainsaw that tends to pollute the environment with its emissions, battery operated chainsaws are much cleaner. The noise level is very low, and almost zero once you release the trigger.
- Ease of maintenance and operation: The cordless chainsaw types are easier to maintain when compared to their gas counterparts. You won’t have to worry about changing plugs or storing gas. Once the battery is charged, all you can do is press the power switch to get on with your cutting. Also, the engine compartment has less part which limits its long-term maintenance cost.
However, corded electric chainsaws might appear to be cleaner and quieter as well. But the problem lies with having to drag the long cord along while cutting the wood. This is why you should consider buying the best battery chainsaw on the market for your simple tasks. So, read our electric chainsaw reviews to understand the chainsaw that suits your needs.
Who Are These Products For?
Battery-operated chainsaws are very important for trimming or cutting tree branches for firewood, clearing the neighborhood after a storm, and other light-duty tasks at home. Some of the benefits you will experience with this product include the fact that it can start automatically, maintains a constant temperature, does not require fuel, is easy to maintain and easy to carry.
Let’s consider how this product can benefit different categories of persons; it’s obvious you’re in one of these classes.
Novice: If you have little or no idea about chainsaws, you should start with a battery-operated chainsaw because of its simplicity of operation and ease of transportation.
Light-duty tasks: If your interest is to perform simple tasks like cutting tree branches for firewood or clearing a fallen tree off the road, cordless electric chainsaws are the best option for you.
Professionals: The cordless electric chainsaw is seen as the best for beginners but that does not mean that professionals cannot use them. In fact, if you want to handle a small project and would love the comfort of operating the machine without the cord or the noise then you can opt for a cordless chainsaw. The best rated cordless chainsaw models are designed to suit the preference of amateurs and professionals alike.
Environmentally friendly persons: If you really care for the environment especially when handling simple wood cutting projects, the battery-operated chainsaw comes handy. Unlike the gas chainsaws, they don’t emit toxic exhaust fumes and does not overwhelm the environment with an annoying sound.
Things to Consider When Looking for the Best Battery Chainsaw
Whatever the type of saw you use, be it a reciprocating saw or a cabinet table saw or a battery chain saw, you should understand the different features that define their qualities. We will be considering them in detail, so read on.
The power of a cordless electric chainsaw is based on its volts. The fact is that the rate of cut is proportional to power. However, if the voltage is too high, the battery will have a shorter life. This implies that the most powerful cordless chainsaw cannot cut through woods that are hard or more than 9 inches thick. If you want to handle some heavy-duty tasks, then you should consider a gas or corded electric chainsaw.
The speed of a battery chainsaw is determined by how fast it can cut through the same wood under the same cutting technique and feed pressure. Mostly, the speed increases with the power rating of the machine. The higher the speed, the better, provided other qualities are not compromised.
This is another important factor that is worth considering when shopping for the best battery chainsaw on the market. The amount of work a battery chainsaw can perform under a single charge is defined by its runtime. The higher the runtime, the lesser you’ll wait for it to recharge before you can continue with the task. Runtime is very important since you may not have a spare battery to switch the pack or a power source nearby to get a recharge.
When it comes to a chainsaw, one of the things you should consider is noise. The best battery powered chain saw should run quietly and should only produce a high-frequency whirring sound. Moreover, once you release the trigger, nothing should be heard any longer in this battery operated chainsaw.
One of the greatest advantages of a cordless electric chainsaw is the ease of carrying it anywhere because of its cordless, portability, and low weight features. Your greatest concern should be how long the battery can last. However, it is not all battery-operated chainsaws that can be carried easily. You should check the weight and dimensions of the model to determine its portability.
Battery operated chainsaws might not be as risky as the corded electric or the gas-powered chainsaw but that does not mean they are not dangerous. One of the major concerns for safety in a cordless electric chainsaw is the kickback. The best battery-operated chainsaws should have low kickback chain or be equipped with anti-kickback features to enhance its safety.
Other important safety features that you should consider include the chain catcher and the chain brake.
In addition to comfortability and ease of use, the best battery chain saw should be compliant with safety standards based on these quality features.
- Trigger: The trigger is a safety feature that is operated as a palm switch. It must be held down before you can engage the throttle trigger.
- Reduced kickback chain: Kickback is avoided by the additional guard links and a reduction in the cutting power to prevent the chain from biting too much at a time. Many of the chainsaws on sale have smaller tips to reduce the area that is cut to avoid any kick-back.
- Chain brake: This feature helps to stop the chain once there is a kick-back or immediately the handguard at the front is pushed forward.
- Chain catcher: This is a small metal extension that is found at the bottom of the guide bar to keep a thrown chain from reaching the user. It is very useful especially if the chain sags because of negligence during maintenance or tensioning.
- Automatic oiler: this feature is so important that it is common in many of the cheap battery chainsaws. It allows you to continue with the cutting without having to pause to lubricate the cutting bar by hand. Also, it ensures that your bar and chain are properly oiled to prevent their premature wear and tear due to overheating.
- Ease of adjustment: Chainsaws bars are designed to be adjusted anytime you put them to use. In most cases, new chains tend to lose tension more often and will require that you reset. Also, if they get too tight suddenly, it implies that there is an inadequate supply of oil to the bar. Ensure that you buy a chain saw that can be adjusted easily with or without a tool.
- Bucking Spikes: These are spikes that acts as a fulcrum for the bar and chain while you are cutting the logs. They are located near the base. The top handle battery chainsaw models are those with metal spikes rather than plastic spikes.
- Anti-Vibration: This feature is common in the gas-powered chainsaws which helps to minimize the impact of vibration. They’re small rubber bushings or springs and is positioned between the engine and the handle. This feature allows you to enjoy a comfortable and tireless cutting operation.
- Tool-Free Chain Adjuster: This is a plastic knob that can be used to lock or unlock the chain bar for the convenient adjustment of the chain tension independently of tools like screwdriver or wrench. Your safety can be improved by the ease at which this adjustment can be made.
The warranty on the product is your greatest assurance of the quality and durability of the battery chainsaw. Most of the best cordless chainsaw brands will provide you with at least a 2-year warranty.
If you know the differences between electric and battery chainsaw, you surely realized that battery-operated chainsaws are more expensive than the corded-electric counterpart because of its advanced battery technology. However, there are cheap battery chainsaws on sale with high-quality features. Your preference should determine what brand you should buy. And if you’re comfortable with the reasons you need the battery powered chainsaw, the cost shouldn’t be a problem.
How Did We Pick the Best?
After spending many years with numerous battery-operated chainsaws from different brands, I can now easily tell the differences among them. Over this long time, I’ve made thousands of cuts on both soft and hardwoods. However, I needed to get a better conviction on the choice of the best battery-operated chain saws to prepare this list. So, I involved the services of community-based volunteers who assisted me in the testing and examination of these products.
Also, my team and I visited various websites and blogs that reviewed battery powered chainsaw models. We examined different customers' comments and ratings on each of the products that they have bought. We compared the battery chainsaw reviews from various websites with the ratings from the various customers which helped us draw our conclusion.
For us to provide you the best battery chainsaw review, we consulted with professional woodworkers who have had several years of experience with this type of chainsaw. They gave us their insight into which product they consider to be the best battery powered chainsaw. We included most of the products they’d recommended among the ones we selected for tests and many of them made it to our list of the top-rated cordless electric chainsaw models.
After the tests, my team and I analyzed how each product fared over the other by power, runtime, speed, portability, noise, safety, warranty, price to quality ratio, and much more. We compared the different battery-operated chainsaw reviews from each of the volunteers and sorted the best based on the criteria we have outlined.
Finally, we collated the data from the various sources, and after completing the analyses, we picked our top ten battery operated chainsaws. We are confident that this review is packed with the best information that will help you while shopping for the best-rated cordless chainsaw.
Our Top 10 List
Well, if you’re are getting a battery chainsaw that you will enjoy for a long time, then you can check any of our listed products for the model that suits your need. We have categorized the best rated chainsaws according to their ratings and have also reviewed their outstanding features, pros and cons. We are confident that this will serve as your trusted buying guide to find out the best chainsaw.