What You Will Get Here
- The Bench Grinder and Its Types
- Things to Consider When Buying the Best Bench Grinder
- How Did We Pick the Best Bench Grinder?
- Our Top 10 Bench Grinder List
- Best Overall: DEWALT DW758 8-Inch Bench Grinder
- Best Variable Speed Grinder: WEN 4280 5 AMP 8” Variable Speed Bench Grinder with Work Light
- Best for Industrial Use: Jet 578008 1hp 8 Industrial Bench Grinder
- Best Low-Maintenance Grinder: Metabo DS 200 8-Inch Bench Grinder
- Budget-Friendly: SKIL 3380-01-6-Inch Bench Grinder
- Best 8-inch Bench Grinder: RIKON Professional Power Tools 8” Slow Speed Bench Grinder, 80-805
- Best 6-inch Bench Grinder: DEWALT DW756 6-Inch Bench Grinder
- Compact Option: True Power 199 Mini Multi-Purpose Bench Grinder
- List of 2 other Bench Grinders We Reviewed
- Other Tested Products
- Care & Maintenance Tips
The Bench Grinder and Its Types
Bench grinders are used to drive abrasive wheels that sharpen or shape a workpiece (usually metals) for better efficiency. The various models of bench grinders invariably have a unique property that defines their purpose and the commonest bench grinders you will find are automotive, woodworking, and portable bench grinders.
Automotive bench grinders are quite the most prevalent type you will find around. It happens to be very versatile as it can be used for grinding a whole range of cutting tools and shaping different metal equipment. Consequently, an automotive bench grinder is designed to be stable with only a few adjustments to keep you going on the bench properly.
Woodworking bench grinders work per their designation - wood. They are specially constructed to smoothing cutting edges of woods that are dull and grinding wood, of course. This kind of grinder requires good precision and can be effectively gotten from the best bench grinder for woodworking.
Portable bench grinders merely give us a hint that they can be transported around as preferred due to their lightweight. The only downside to this type of grinders is that they are not as strong as bigger grinders which may not be handy for tough metal works.
Why Use Bench Grinders?
So, what could be the reason that I would need a bench grinder for in my workshop? Considering the multiple metal and wood pieces I have there, I believe anyone who is need of a shaper or sharpener for optimum efficiency of these reference tools should keep a bench grinder at their arm’s reach. It may drive someone nuts when having to work on a project with blunt tools or inapt workpieces in general.
A bench grinder always makes our jobs more accessible by providing a flexible usage on our casual workpieces that tend to deteriorate over time. For us to keep all our tools in their nifty conditions from time to time, a bench grinder serves that purpose well. This is why it is recommended for construction specialists, tool based workers, or even homeowners. But you should also know how and where to use a bench grinder properly for maximum output.
Things to Consider When Buying the Best Bench Grinder
That being said, we shall now lay proper emphasis on the things to consider when purchasing a bench grinder from the store. Some months back, I had a colleague who seldom complained about his bench grinder being inefficient for some of his works. Not until recently did I figure out that the model he bought (portable bench grinder) wasn’t good enough to carry out the specific kind of task he wished to complete in time and adequately.
As a result, we got an automotive bench grinder with adjustable speed settings to help maximize time during the tasks associated with it. The dilemma of my colleague experienced was merely due to insufficient knowledge on the selection of an apt bench grinder for the nature of most of his projects. Intuitively, he was probably intrigued by the portability and ideal light weight of the machine which caused him to make a wrong choice.
In case you are a novice, an explained set of information has been provided for you so you don't face such predicaments in life regarding your choosing skills. The primary factors to consider when looking for the best grinding machine are:
1. Power of the motor
This property is usually labelled in watt (W) or horsepower (hp) depending on the model or country you intend to purchase the grinder. The latter is actually more common in most e-stores; but for the sake of unforeseen events, you might want to recall that 1 hp = 745.7W. By logic, the higher the value of the motor’s power means the more significant the power efficiency of the machine.
For instance, a bench grinder using ¼ hp will be 4 times less potent than a grinder using 1hp. For example, if you want to use the machine to sharpen a mower blade and do related tasks then the ¼ hp will be good enough for you. But if you need to really clean up your steel, or remove or shape the blade, the 1hp power motor will be ideal.
2. Construction and durability
Purchasing the right bench grinder for your projects includes getting the best of the product to suit and last you over a reasonable period. Choosing a grinding machine that doesn’t have a good build quality and mechanism for the kind of workpieces you want to have can bring about frustration.
Also, the durability of a tool mentioned in some article or product reviews is barely significant because of more attention given towards the features. Consequently, you should really consider how durable the bench grinder you want to buy should be as it is relatively essential as well.
Different top grinding machines come with wheels that are designed with variable speeds. Our research shows that a variable speed bench grinder is predominant amongst artisans and recommended for aiding optimum outcomes for projects. There are different types of wheels as stated below.
4. Types of wheels
- Straight wheel: It is the most popular of all types of wheel and is usually used for sharpening of chisels or similar tools. The straight wheel grinder is typically applied for tasks involving surface grinding or centreless grinding.
- Cylinder wheel: This type of wheel is relatively large and hollow in design to be applied on huge, tough materials, such as large metal sheets.
- Tapered wheel: A tapered wheel grinder has its wheel narrowing towards edges. This design is mainly meant for exquisite kind of tasks like grinding metal threads or sharpening of gear teeth during which the edges become tapered.
5. Safety measures
I urge you also take proper safety precautions when dealing with bench grinders because there are quite a number of possible hazards that are accompanied with this machine if not adhered.
- Spark protection: No single glove is enough to provide complete protection for every work situation, so it may be imperative you get specialized (spark) protection when working with tools like bench grinders
- Guards and tool rest: Make sure you have wheel guards in good condition for your grinding machine and set tool rest about 1/16 to 1/8 inch from the wheel
- Anti-vibration feature: It is essential to reduce or limit vibrations of the grinding machine as they could cause poor surface finish or even accidents
- Eyeshield: Guard your eyes while grinding to prevent grinding chips, metal pieces or little particles from contacting the eye
- Rubber feet: It is ideal to mount your grinder to sit on rubber feet to subject it to firmness while you work on the machine. This can reduce errors or accidents when in use
6. Adjustable Speeds
With reference to speed being among the necessary factors to consider, bench grinders are best operated with an adjustable speed feature. It helps its user monitor and control the rate at which the wheels can exercise their performance on a workpiece so as to prevent uneven trimming or sharpening.
A full warranty for your machine is a must-have, and it goes beyond that. The information should include a detailed explanation of the warranty coverage and what is not covered upon purchase of the bench grinder. More favorably, if you’re able to get a warranty for over 12 months then go for it without much hesitation. That way, you can account for the general performance of the machine for a longer time and feel secure about your budget.
Having reviewed all these points to consider before attempting to buy the best cheap bench grinder that will suit you, draft a budget range before proceeding to buy one. Doing this will give you a ground idea of not only the appropriate machine but a reasonable estimate on what you’re catering for at the shop.
How Did We Pick the Best Bench Grinder?
You must be wondering what makes us so confident that we have reviewed a number of these grinders and then compiled a list of the top 10 best bench grinders here for you. Well, we did that because we are experts in this industry and we have been using such devices for over the last 15 years. We have been able to attain a strategy that works based on the selection of the best bench grinders in review format. The contents of these products are elaborated with reference to their cogent reviews in the market for consumers to purchase the ideal grinder for workshops or sites.
The very first factor considered in the selection of the list of top grinders is the grinding wheel. It comes in various types, but not all bench grinders can be fixed with the same grinding wheel which makes it a crucial factor. The wheels also come in different metallic properties, such as aluminium oxide and silicon carbide which we figured could be a problem for consumers regarding choosing the metal/wood piece they want to work on, appropriately.
The power capacity was also deemed among our essential factors for selection. Bench grinders are known to possess different power capacities; hence, it becomes indispensable that consumers ensure that they go for the right product with respect to the level of toughness of a workpiece that they intend to use on the machine.
A related aspect of consideration we drew from the power capacity of bench grinders is its size. We deduced the typical size range (inches) and compared them to a group of tools that can be associated with the grinder for a better task. In addition, we included that a good grinding machine is well reflected upon its robust body and overall premium quality.
This brings about the reason why solid build quality gives an assurance of more extended durability without breaking down on occasions. All these factors of our selection strategy were meticulously obtained from extensive research and subsequent tests on the listed products by community-based usage as well as consultation from experts.
Our Top 10 Bench Grinder List
Here, you can ascertain for the best bench grinder reviews as our list covers all the critical perspectives that avid consumers of this product would love to buy. These reviews are created peculiarly for the various, and most common wants that you might deem splendid to your taste. In essence, virtually everything concerning what you need in this fantastic tool has been categorized below.