Cloning machines have no doubt become one of the most desired cloning solutions among individuals. Although aeroponic cloning is gaining popularity fast, other methods are prominent too, and this is why knowing the steps to use a cloning machine is really important. This is because of its ability to clone plants faster, better and in the easiest way possible. Without beating around, in this article, we shall be looking at how to use a cloning machine. This will help to provide a step by step guide to ensure beginners and professionals alike can make use of this machine.
Understanding the Function of a Cloning Machine
Having given an overview of what a cloning machine is, it is also important to know how this machine functions. This will help you as a user to appreciate every step you engage in while making use of this cloning machine.
The design of the best cloning machines makes it easy for them to function effectively. It comes with an inbuilt manifold with sprayer heads. This allows for sprays to release mist whenever pressure is applied to the manifold. The clone also comes with moisture and oxygen which when applied to the plant enhances rapid growth of its root.
Each cloning machine has a particular amount of cells or plants it can hold per time. These differences are based on the size and capacity of each cloning machine. While some cloning machines can accommodate as much as 100 plants per time, others can take about 20.
Your safety is guaranteed while using the clone. Being a plant growing machine that is composed of chemicals, adequate safety mechanisms have been put in place. Wear protective glasses and gloves while using the machine so your body don’t come in contact with the chemical.
How to Use a Cloning Machine? – Why Should You Learn This?
You might be wondering why it is important you learn how to make use of a cloning machine. Following the cloning machine instructions helps you maximize it well.
Having a cloning machine and not knowing how to use it is as frustrating as not having one. There are a number of reason why you should learn this, but let’s quickly outline a number of it.
1. It Increases the Speed at Which the Root Grows
As a professional or beginner horticulturist, speedy tooth growth on a clone is much desired. Knowing how to make use of the cloning machine will help you achieve faster root development. Which I think is what every plant grower wants.
2. It Helps to Develop Consistency at Cloning
In order to attain success in cloning, you need to be consistent. Working with a cloning machine can help you attain the level of consistency needed for excellent results. Because once set, it basically does all the work for you, and you do not have to remember to check up always.
3. It Helps to Increase Your Automation Level
Increased automation level makes gardening a whole lot easier and interesting to do. With the use of a cloning machine, automation increases the amount time and energy is saved, and productivity is bound to increase.
How to Use a Cloning Machine? – Step-by-Step
Let’s assume that you can get yourself a high-quality cloning machine. Now what? It’s time to know how to use a cloning machine. let’s quickly run through the steps involved in using a cloning machine.
1. Readying the Machine
At this stage, you need to prepare the machine for the task that is ahead. To do this, you have to ensure all the parts of the machine are in place. You should also take note of the following.
- Make sure the machine is in the best working condition. Check to be sure all the parts and materials are in place.
- Also make sure the plant to be cloned is ready. Here, make sure the plants available fall within the range that particular cloning machine size can accommodate.
- Check the donor plant to be used for the presence of any disease caused by fungi and bacteria.
- Start cloning away.
2. Working to Get the Right Environmental Setup
Asides from making sure that the cloning machine is ready, you also have to make sure that you set the environment up. To do this, make sure –
- Objects and materials that might be affected by the cloning are taken away from the environment.
- Also make sure that children stay clear of the environment. This way you are able to prevent them from being exposed to the danger of the machine.
- Make sure the environment is best for the cloning purpose and not just carried out anywhere.
3. Prepare the Water Required
Water is needed, so it is necessary that you fill up the clone machine with water. In doing so –
- Make sure water doesn’t exceed the water line limit set by the machine
- Make sure that the water used is from a very clean source and average temperature.
- When using tap water, make sure it is well filtered and free from any dirt
- You can add cloning solution to the water for extra purification.
- Allow water to cool between intervals.
4. Do the Cuttings
Once clean water has been put inside the cloning machine, you can now go on to begin cutting the clones and putting them in place.
- Make sure clones are cut physically from well-maintained donor plants.
- Stick to the required 3″ measurement when cutting.
- Cut at 45-degree angle to achieve better cloning result.
- Dip clones cut in rooting solution immediately after cutting.
5. Insert Them into Your Machine
As soon as you are done cutting the clones, go on to begin inserting them into your machine. As you do this, make sure clones cut are well placed within the cloning region. Ensure that you also do not put more cells or plants than is required of the size of the cloning machine.
6. Place the Cuttings in Your Cloning Machine
Every cutting goes first into a rooting solution then straight in place into the cloning machine. Repeat this process for all the cuttings until you are done with all of it. Make sure that you don’t forget to dip cuttings into the solution so as not to defeat the purpose. Which is to clone the plants and if they are not dipped in the solution, the cloning process will not happen.
7. Track the Progress
As soon as you place the cuttings in the cloning machine, they will begin to develop roots. So you have to monitor the progress to have a good understanding of how they work.
- Monitor clones placed on a daily basis
- Keep a track on the water level and temperature.
- Observe early stages of root growth and see how it happens.
8. Transplant the Clone
As soon as the root develops, you have to transplant the rooted clone. When transplanting, place clone in a fertile soil or a hydroponic medium depending on your choice.
9. Sanitize and Sterilize the Cuttings
When you finish cloning, you have to put the machine in a good condition. This stage is really fee red to as the sanitizing and sterilizing stage.
- Clean the cloning machine and make use of disinfectants
- Make sure to rinse the inside of the machine after cleaning.
- Replace the neoprene discs regularly to prevent pathogens.
The relative ease and speed that comes with making use of a cloning machine cannot be over exaggerated. This is what every horticulturist requires to achieve good results without having to go through much stress. With this article, I am sure you now understand how to use a cloning machine. All you need to do is follow the basic steps provided above and have the root of plants developed in no time.
Leave a Comment