Many of today's drill press models come with tables but you may not find them useful. Nobody wants to compromise the accuracy and precision of their woodwork, hence the need for a replacement table that can give you the freedom to handle any size of project.
Here our experts reviewed a number of drill press tables and shortlisted the most amazing ones with their features, advantages and disadvantages. We also added a buyer's guide so you can easily identify the best drill press table as per your own requirements. Read on to find out your best choice!
Why Should You Trust Us?
Woodworking has always been a part of our life because we grew up in an environment that included woodworking. As time went by, we inherited those tools from our fathers, grandfathers, and other relatives that loved the industry. It's natural that as an integral woodworking machine, we were familiar with drill presses and drill press tables from an early age. We wanted to share our hands-on experience with these products on this platform, hence the preparation of this review.
Also, here at Drillly, we always give honest and unbiased reviews because we care about useful information that really helps our audience. This is something you won't find everywhere online because there are many reviewers that take money from different manufacturers and give false reviews on their products with the sole intention of monetary gain. This was one of the reasons we felt it necessary to establish this platform where both beginner and expert woodworkers could get useful tips and honest reviews so they could make the most of their projects.
Why Use a Drill Press Table?
As a novice woodworker or a beginner, you might be wondering why a perfect table is important for maximizing the uses of a drill press. Yes, it is normal, as I was once in that position too. However, professionals just like me, not only make use of this tool because it is one of the many tools required. They do so because they have come to understand from their many years of experience, the importance of this tool.
We cannot exhaust all the many importance of making use of a drill press woodworking table, but let us quickly run through a number of them.
- It enhances your speed: While it is absolutely possible for you to still work with a random table, an adjustable drill press table is what you need. With this tool, your work rate is enhanced. You can work faster on it than you will on any random table.
- It is safer to work with: Woodworking requires care and attention. You have to shield yourself and your working tools from potential dangers. This tool provides you comfort and assures your safety at the same time.
- It allows for more accurate results: When you're able to work comfortably, a number of things are bound to happen. One of those things is that you will be able to pay the needed attention to details. When you do, you will achieve precise and accurate results. Precision and accuracy in woodworking form the basis upon which professionalism thrives.
- You would not have to make timely replacements: If you are meticulous enough to take your time while selecting a drill press table, you are doing yourself a whole lot of good. This is because these tables are always comprehensive enough that you don't have to replace anytime soon.
- Its affordability is a thing to consider: You might be considering random tables above drill press tables because you are trying to minimize costs. No, you have nothing to worry about because these tables are usually affordable for the average user.
Things to Consider When Buying a Drill Press Table
When you're visiting one store to another, you have to take into consideration a number of factors so as to be sure you are making the right decision. But these factors differ from one woodworker to another as much as it is from a professional to a novice. Now, we will be looking at the major factors that make a difference.
You might be wondering why is this coming first, right? This is because you won't want to buy a tool that cannot last you for as long as is desired. Make sure that the choice you make is one that can last you for long with low maintenance cost.
Portability of a model is defined by its length and width. Make sure you first consider the space of your work room before determining its size. Less workroom space will require that you go for a more portable one than someone who has a larger room. The type of woodwork done also influences the size to be desired.
A versatile choice will allow you to multitask easily and comfortably while maintaining precision and accuracy at the same time. Whether you're handling a commercial or a DIY project, you always want versatility in your choice.
4. Ease of Set Up
How simple is the set up process? This also depends on your general knowledge of the tool. For a novice who is not so familiar with the tool, you can go for one that is easier to set up and understand.
5. Quality Construction & Finish
You should also among other things, take into consideration the quality of the table's construction. What is the design structure like? Does it fit the way you like? Can you easily move it up and down or you have to go for a lift?
Closely related to this is the finishing of the table. It is always advices that you get a tool that is smooth especially if it is a wooden one.
Other basic features of each tool to take note and inquire about include:
- Fence: Look out for a fence that is either simple or complex, made of wood or metal, depending on your choice. Just make sure that regardless of your choice, it is adjustable.
- T-tracks & T-slots: This slot is always perpendicular to your work and makes it easy for you to be able to attach items to the table. Make sure they are parallel and can be attached to the fence.
- Holding power: This can be referred to as the clamping abilities of the drill press table. Make sure to look out for the strength of these clamps based on the task you expect of them in your workroom. Try going for clamps that glide to and fro on T-tracks.
- Throat plate: This is detachable from the table and is necessary to prevent the entire table top from being changed when any damage happens to it especially by multiple drill holes.
7. Price-to-Quality Ratio
Consider your budget for the drill press table. Make sure whichever one you are going has an impressive price to quality ratio and will serve you as much as it costs.
How Did We Pick the Best?
As said earlier, the Drillly team has been using different types of drill press as well as tables from different brands for years. We were already well familiar with some of the most popular drill press machines as well as their tables on the current market. But we knew we had to be more careful when making such a shortlist.
Keeping that in mind, we first located the 25 of the most desired drill press tables conducting research online. Afterwards, we and our volunteer team tested them one by one over a period of several months. While testing, we had kept our focus on the factors that really provided great value for money. They included such basic features as the fence, the inset throat plate, the T-Tracks, and the plastic laminate; as well as the advanced features like the adjustable ruler for easy cross or xy slide positioning, fence stop block for repetitive cuts, and many more.
After getting an overall idea about their utilities, we made these 10 choices and checked their customer ratings and reviews to see what other users were thinking about them. We also took opinions from experts and professional woodworkers because they had dedicated the better parts of their lives to research about these tools. Their feedback helped us ensure that all the products on our list were worth your hard-earned money.
We did all of this just to help you find your right match. Relevant information as to the specification, features, pros and cons of each have all been provided. All that is left for you is to make careful analysis of each and make the right choice.
Our Top 10 List
Having categorized our topics based on its various types and the factors to be considered when buying a drill press table outlined above, let's go straight to look at them. We will be examining each drill press table one after the other providing it's specifications and features as well as its pros and cons.
To conclude, we showed you the many uses and importance of a drill press table. As a woodworker, furniture maker or driller, you can actually do a lot more with a high-end option. Work becomes faster, delivery becomes more accurate, comfortability is assured, safety is secured, and a lot more. All these and many more are the reasons why professionals advice that this is a must-have tool if you want to make your woodworking journey a successful one.
What we think should be clarified is if you want to work with this tool, make sure that you follow through every instruction provided on the user manual guide. It is from this guide that you will find out the steps involved to install in your workshop. You will also find out how to ensure that the tool is always in its optimum working condition.
We think it's worth mentioning that aside from these 10 options, there are also many models from different brands like Craftsman, Ryobi, Rockler, Incra, Kreg, Grizzly, Delta, and Woodsmith. They come with good features and functionalities as well. But they could not take a place in this shortlist because they fell short of the required positive features the Drillly team was looking for during the testing phase. We admit that some of those models are also great that drill press users try anytime.
Every single model listed here has its specific purposes that it serves. Make sure to find out what purpose you need the table for before make a final decision. We hope that finding the best drill press table according to your own requirements won't be so difficult after going through this in-depth review.