What You Will Get Here
- Importance of Using a Cloning machine
- How do we pick the best?
- Some factors that we look for when picking a cloner
- Primary considerations for buying the best cloning machine
- Here are a few points to consider before deciding on a cloner
- Best Overall : CLONE KING 36 Site Aeroponic Cloning Machine
- Best for colder Climates : Clone Bucket 8 Black Edition Aeroponic Plant Cloner
- Best for Dryer Climate : TurboKlone T24D cloning System
- Best Compact Cloner : Hydrofarm oxyCLONE 20 Site
- Budget Buy : Indoor 7 Site Plant Cloning Machine Easy Root Growing Hydroponics Aeroponics
- List of 5 other Cloning machine We Reviewed
- How to use cloning machines?
Importance of Using a Cloning machine
Cloning machines help you with the production of your plants’ successful genetic replicas. They come in a few varied shapes, sizes, bands and site slots but work in the same way. For the various methods of cloning, are two basic machine choice types the Ebb and Flow (EAF) or the Deep-Water Culture (DWC) systems. These gardening tools show a few similarities to that of hydroponic systems. They come with aeroponic spray nozzles, pumps, and a nutrient mixture.
There are holes on the top of the container which have hard or soft inserts in them made of neoprene. These represent the "cloning sites" where you place the plant cuttings in.
Once operational the cloning process involves less labor and time. It also more often than not affords a 100% success rate. In comparison, the standard process takes twice as long! And the success rate is not as high due to the delicate environment.
How do we pick the best?
We choose the best clone machine based on what we need it for. As a rule, we factor in price first as it is going to play a part in deciding on the system. But remember not to rule out a cheap cloning machine; some of them are as good as their pricier counterparts. Looking at the price first is an excellent way to measure the options available.
Some factors that we look for when picking a cloner
The machines success rate
This is a good reference, and a top cloning machine will have it on the product specifications. This should also list how long the system can maintain root health.
Design of the machine
- The shape, size, and weight are essential. It needs to be able to fit the space and be light enough to carry.
- How many sites it has, the material of the inserts and their usage.
- It must be able to adapt to most environments, have a proper pump and be able to manage the required temperature.
- The system must moderate the flow of water and oxygen required to sustain the system.
- Machines that are easy to use, clean and maintain are always preferred.
- The cloner must be durable and strong as you want it to last, so we always check the build materials.
How comprehensive is the system?
- Most cloning systems come with a full kit needed to get started with including a user manual.
- We also check online reviews and any product test ratings it may have.
Primary considerations for buying the best cloning machine
There are a few points to consider when setting out to buy a cloning machine. As the machine is going to have to meet your needs, you will need to take a bit of time to consider your options.
Each plant may have a different need, and it may also depend on user operation level of the system. Some systems are more suited to beginners, and some are more suited to the more advanced cloner users.
Here are a few points to consider before deciding on a cloner
Number of Sites
Different brands make and models come with a varied number of cloning sites. The number you choose is a matter of how many plants you want to clone.
For beginners, it best to start with fewer sites until you are more adept at using the cloning machine.
The bucket size gives the system the space in which to grow the plants. It also determines the size of the plants you can grow in it. More room in the bucket makes for easier transferring of the plants when they are ready. A bigger bucket is always best to go for and are usually measured in gallons.
Active Hydroponics System
There are passive hydroponic systems and active hydroponic systems. The active systems are the better one to go for as they give the best results. It tends to offer a higher growth and success rate due to the pump. The pump is set to pump oxygen and nutrients at set intervals. The active system can also be pricier than the passive system but well worth it.
There are two types of cloning machines as we mentioned above the EAF and DWC.
- DWC/Deep Water Culture
The DWC (Deep Water Culture) is ideal for the beginner. The tank does not need a pump as it has nutrients stored in it and it is also oxygenated. As such, there is no need to worry about the buildup of algae. The system is easy to set up, run and yields success.
- EBB & Flow Systems
While the EAF (Ebb and Flow) is ideal for plants that prefer a dry heat and has also known to give excellent results. It also requires the skill of a more advanced cloner user. This a more intense environment to set up and works on a “true hydroponic type system.” It needs a pump and temperature control to achieve results. But the results in this system justify the means as the success rate all but speaks for itself.
It may be an idea to look into buying expandable cloning kits. they are pricier than the standard ones, but they give room to expand and grow more plants
You don't have to keep checking for plant debris in the various nozzles and pumps. Check for an easy to maintain machine with reservoirs that are easy to reach and work filters.
Make sure the system is sturdy and durable, not easy to crack and that pump is not prone to leaking.
Ease of Use
The system should be easy to use and have a comprehensive easy to read the instruction manual.
Price to quality ratio
Look for a system that has a decent performance delivery ratio to justify its cost.
Our Top 10 Best Cloning Machines
There are many cloning machines on the market today. Each has its design, make, model and brand name. They also have significant price differences, and to find the best one for you we have put together a comprehensive clone machine reviews section.