What You Will Get Here
- Understanding woodworking drill press
- Who is This Product for?
- How did we pick the best?
- Things to Consider while Buying best woodworking drill press
- Best Overall : WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press
- Budget Friendly : Dremel 220-01 Rotary Tool Workstation Drill Press
- Advanced Choice : WEN 4212 12-Inch Variable Speed Drill Press
- Compact Choice : Gino Development 01-0822 0-8500 rpm TruePower Precision Mini Drill Press
- List of 6 other Woodworking Drill Press We Reviewed
- How to Use a drill press for woodworking?
- Care and Maintenance
Understanding woodworking drill press
The drill press has been one of the best tools for the woodworker. It enables you to penetrate the wood with high a degree of efficiency and accuracy. The Best woodworking drill press offers you the ability to control your project while simplifying the drilling operation.
Let’s discuss the two main types of drill presses namely the Bench and Floor wood presses.
Bench drill press
The bench drill woodworking drill press remains fixed on the workbench. It is also grouped among the small drill presses. It is not as powerful as the floor type but is more portable and does not take much space. One of its outstanding advantages is that it is best for small hole drilling.
Floor drill press
The floor drill press is bigger and more powerful than the bench drill press. Just as the name implies, it is mounted on the floor. It has the capacity to drill larger and deeper holes and can easily difficult or complicated drills and cuttings.
You should not buy just any drill press that is on the market. There are factors which you should consider which we will discuss in this best drill press buying guide to help you to choose wisely while buying.
Who is This Product for?
Who can benefit from drill press woodworking? This product can be used by both inexperienced and professional woodworkers. They are simple to use and has become a breakthrough for all category of woodworkers.
Now, let’s consider how the best drill press for metal and wood can be beneficial to the different category of users.
- Novices – do you consider yourself a novice with a woodworking drill? If so, you should be happy. There are many persons who are like you or were once in your shoes. As a beginner, you should start by buying a drill press that easy to use. It will interest you that a drill press is better in terms of speed, efficiency, and accuracy than handheld drills which has often been the delight of most beginners. The main thing here is if the drill press can perform your task with ease. If yes, that is the drill press that will be most benefiting to you at this stage.
- Professionals – Many of the woodworking drill presses on the market have been designed to be used by professionals. Using the drill press as a professional will help you to improve on overall output. You will be able to maximize your time and profit as your work becomes simpler, easier, and accurate. Your ability to have more control over your work will make you stand out among your competitors.
- Woodworkers : There is no woodworker who is not familiar with either the bench or floor type drill press. They are used in boring small or large holes on different sizes and types of wood. It makes your work as a woodworker to be fast, accurate and presentable. It is one of the most applied machines in the wood workshop.
- Manufacturers : This machine is used by various manufacturers of cars, electronics, machines and much more. They are used for drilling of holes for screws on different sizes of woods and metals. It gives your workpiece a neat, fast, and accurate finishing.
- Environment – conscious persons: Do you care about the environment? If yes, then this product is for you. Many of the woodworking drill presses on the market are designed to be eco-friendly and safe for use in any environment.
How did we pick the best?
The purpose of this drill press buying guide is to help boost your confidence when shopping for the best drill press for woodworking. So, we started our path by testing and reviewing the different products to enable us to provide you with one of the most remarkable drill press reviews.
It will interest you that we were careful to observe the rules of research and findings and we also had help from the some of the best hands we could find.
Now let’s consider how we picked the best.
We recruited volunteers who conducted practical tests on the various drill press. This helped to increase our understanding of the products. During these tests, we focused on the specific features that are required of a good drill press. This included type, versatility, chuck, spindle reach, price to quality ratio, main parts, functionality, angle, and inclination. We were able to build our drill press reviews woodworking based on the data collated.
Moreover, we got ideas from different blog reviews on drill presses. We reviewed comments and posts from various consumers of these products. We carefully examined their reaction and experiences after buying. To strengthen our ideas, we contacted professionals and industry experts who have had years of experiences with drill presses.
Finally, we collated the information from the volunteers, online reviews, consumers and experts. By combining these data, we were able to come up with our list of the top 10 drill presses. Our time and commitment to research for the Best woodworking drill press has paid off because we are confident that our guide will be very helpful in your drill press buy.
Things to Consider while Buying best woodworking drill press
A good drill press is among the woodworker’s most useful tools. The machine helps you to get work done faster while you have more control over your work. There are some factors you should keep in mind when buying a drill press. We’ve listed them out for you.
The main parts of a drill press are the base, column, table, and head. While the drill rests on the head, the table serves as the workstation. The base and the column provide support for the machine. The base should be firmly clamped on the table to reduce the impact of vibration on the entire machine. The type of drill press is determined by the length of the column. Endeavor to buy a drill press that is easy to use, durable, and flexible.
The benchtop and floor drills are the two types of drill presses. Therefore, your choice of a drill press should be determined by its usage. If your need for a drill machine is to take on heavy tasks like drilling large holes into metals or heavy woods, then you should buy one that can perform the task. For heavy tasks, we strongly recommend that you buy the floor drill type.
The benchtop drill presses are suitable for lighter tasks like drilling of small holes on wood or mild steel sheets. Also, if you have limited space for storage or workstation, then the mini drill press is for you.
The best drill press for the money is not designed to perform only the task of drilling holes on metal or wooden objects. Rather, it should polish, make designs, and cut the woods based on your need. It should come with different drill bits for each of these tasks. To maximize the capabilities of your machine, you should always have the right bit on the ready.
This is another important factor which you should consider before buying a drill press. Your drill should come with a reliable chuck and spindle set. The chucks should be firm enough to allow bits to be inserted easily. Also, there should be no flaw in the spindle assembly to avoid the occurrence of accidents.
Each of the spindles is designed for a fixed length. The depth of the hole depends on the length of the spindles. The Best woodworking drill press should have a spindle adjustment setting which allows you to control the hole depth. In addition, endeavor to measure the tool’s quill stroke and then make the proper adjustments of the spindle before drilling.
Angle and Inclination
Many of the drill presses in the market are designed with tables which can be inclined to specific angles. This is very useful for drilling holes in woods with a curved surface. You should buy a drill press with a table that can be inclined to an angle of 45 or 90 degrees.
The more tasks a drill press can perform the better. This implies that it can serve other purposes outside the drilling of holes. It can function as a mortise or a sander machine once you attach the right drill bits to the machine. You’ll save money by buying a drill press with a high degree of functionality.
Price to Quality Ratio
In as much as you will love to buy a drill press that matches your budget, you should never compromise with quality. A poor-quality drill press could be cheap, it may have low safety standards making it prone to accidents. However, there is a cheap drill press for sale with a good price to quality ratio and can perform the same task as a branded drill press. Instead of buying the wrong product that may bring you pains and discomfort, you should spend some bucks to buy a top rated drill press.
Our Top 10 Best Woodworking Drill Press
We have adopted our top 10 drill presses after carrying out comprehensive research on various products. We do not only tell you the product to bu but have presented you with their types, specs, detailed review, pros, cons etc. You will be able to choose the drill press that suits your specification and need after reading this guide.